Friday, July 31 – Monday, August 3, 2015
Fundamentals: July 31 & August 1
Intermediate: August 2
Advanced: August 3
In 1981, composer/lyricist Stephen Sondheim envisioned a non-profit theater to nurture the next generation of playwrights and ever since, Young Playwrights Inc. has been doing just that: going into classrooms across the country, bringing innovative and interactive methods of teaching playwriting to thousands of students with our Write A Play! Curriculum. We know that inspired teachers are the key to reaching students. We designed our Teacher Training Institute to teach you to use playwriting to help your students master basic educational goals such as reading, writing, and critical thinking, while discovering their unique powers of expression. A professional playwright will lead you through improvisation, writing, rewriting, and discussion of the elements of dramatic structure. You’ll discover how these exercises can be used throughout the curriculum — not just for the study of theater — and learn how to help your students appreciate and discover one of our greatest art forms.
- a blueprint for integrating playwriting into your curriculum
- a foundation of tested improvisation and writing exercises
- a forum for discussion with fellow educators
- the WRITE A PLAY! Curriculum Guide
The Teacher Training Institute:
- provides up to 10 hours of professional development credit
- meets NYS Standards for Language Arts
- meets NYC Blueprint for Teaching and Learning in the Arts standards
Tuition is $150 per day for Fundamental, Intermediate, and Advanced sessions.
Ready to register? Click for the 2015 Registration Form. Please note that this form is in PDF format and cannot be filled out online.
Want more information? Download the 2015 Teacher Training Institute Information Packet.
Questions? Email email@example.com